Awards & Honors
World-class Hospital Care in Denver
Porter Adventist Hospital has been delivering superior care for more than 75 years. It has been nationally recognized for its work. Some of our recent awards include:
- Jan. 2014: Porter Adventist Hospital becomes the first hosptial in Colorado to recieve full Atrial Fibrillation Certification from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
- Nov. 2013: The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association award Porter Adventist Hospital with Get With The Guidelines®–Stroke Gold Quality Achievement Award.
- Nov. 2013: The Porter Breast Center is awarded with a full three-year from the American College of Surgeons, National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Oct. 2013: Porter Adventist Hospital earns a second consecutive "A" from The Leapfrog Group for patient safety.
- Oct. 2013: Healthgrades recognizes Porter Adventist Hospital as one of America’s 100 Best hospitals for cardiac and prostate surgery.
- Oct. 2013: Porter Adventist Hospital's Heart and Vascular Institute is awarded with the ACTION Registry®–GWTG Performance Achievement Award from the American College of Cardiology (ACC). This is the highest possible level of recognition from ACC for care of the myocardial infarction.
- Oct. 2013: The Porter Heart and Vascular Institute is named a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care® by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
- Sept. 2013: Porter Adventist Hospital receives highest nursing credential with prestigious Magnet® recognition for second time.
- Sept. 2013: Porter Adventist Hosptial achieves the highest rating for surgery from Consumer Reports.
- July 2013: Porter Adventist Hospital is named as one of the top three hospitals in Colorado by U.S. News and World Report with high performance recognition in nine separate medical specialties.
- July 2013: Porter Adventist Hospital is named a Get With The Guidelines – Heart Failure GOLD PLUS Achievement Award Hospital by the American Heart Association.
- May 2013: Porter Adventist Hospital earns an "A" from The Leapfrog Group for overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors.
- April 2013: The American Heart Association awards Porter Adventist Hospital the Mission: Lifeline® Receiving Center- Silver Level Recognition Award.
- April 2013: Recipient of the Healthgrades 2013 Patient Safety Excellence Award™.
- Sept. 2012: The American Heart Association awards Porter Adventist Hospital the Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus Award – Heart Failure for 2012.
- Sept. 2012: Porter Adventist Hospital becomes the first and only hospital in Colorado to receive full Heart Failure Accreditation status from the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- Aug. 2012: Denver's 5280 magazine recognizes 28 Porter physicians, representing 24 medical specialties, as "Top Docs” for 2012.
- July 2012: U.S. News & World Report ranks Porter Adventist Hospital as one of the top five hospitals in the Denver metro area and among the top seven hospitals in Colorado with seven high-performing specialties.
- 2012: Blue Cross and Blue Shield Blue Distinction® for cardiac care, knee and hip replacement and spine surgery.
- 2012: UnitedHeathcare Premium® recognition for spine and total joint replacement surgery
- Dec. 2011: The American Diabetes Association awarded Education Recognition to the Diabetes Self-Management Program at Porter Adventist Hospital. The award recognizes the program for adhering to national standards in education provided to people with diabetes.
- Nov. 2011: Cardiovascular Advertising Awards recognized Porter’s partnership with the Denver Police Department and the Healthy Heart Heroes program in cardiac disease prevention with a Bronze Award in patient education.
- Oct. 2011: Porter’s Stroke Program received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With The Guidelines – Stroke Gold Performance Achievement Award
- Oct. 2011: Porter’s Congestive Heart Failure Program received the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines Plus Award
- March 2011: Porter Adventist Hospital was listed among the best hospitals in the Denver area by U.S. News & World Report. Porter was ranked 7th overall, and was recognized for care in four specialties including geriatrics, gynecology, orthopedics and urology.
- 2011: Among the best hospitals for transplant outcomes in the nation according to the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients
- Dec. 2010: Porter's Congestive Heart Failure program recieves American Heart Association's Get with the Guidelines Silver Award.
- Nov. 2010 The Porter Breast Center and Porter Comprehensive Breast Care received three-year full accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), which is administered by the American College of Surgeons.
- Oct. 2010: The American Heart Association’s Get with the Guidelines (GWTG) program has awarded Porter Adventist Hospital with a Stroke Silver Performance Achievement Award. The award recognizes hospitals that demonstrate at least 85 percent compliance in each of the seven GWTG-Stroke Achievement Measures, and the Silver recognizes performance of 12 consecutive months.
- Sept. 2010: United Health Premium® has named the Porter Center for Joint Replacement as a Premium Total Joint Replacement Specialty Center for 2009-2010.June 2010: United Health Premium® has named the Porter Spine Institute as a Surgical Spine Specialty Center.
- March 2010: Porter Inpatient Rehab Unit award by the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation, placing Porter in the top 10 percent of 805 inpatient rehabilitation facilities that qualified to be ranked.
- 2010: Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield awarded Porter the Blue Distinction Centers for Spine SurgerySM and Blue Distinction Centers for Knee and Hip ReplacementSM, for demonstrating commitment to quality care in surgery and better overall outcomes for patients.
- Jan. 2010: Winner of HealthStream Research Excellence through Insight awards for Overall Physician Satisfaction and for Overall Emergency Department Satisfaction.
- Dec. 2009: Six Porter nurses were recognized for their continuing education and awarded scholarships from The College Network as a result of Porter’s recent MagnetTM designation for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credential Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®.
- Dec. 2009: Certified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- Nov. 2009: HealthGrades, the nation’s leading healthcare independent ratings organization, awarded Porter Adventist Hospital the Cardiac Care and Coronary Intervention Excellence Awards, placing the facility in the top ten percent and fivepercent respectively for patient outcomes in the country.
- Distinguished Hospital Award: Porter has been recognized by a national hospital reporting company, placing it in the top five percent of hospitals nationally for outstanding quality and outcomes.
- 2009: Porter Adventist Hospital achieved Magnet™ designation for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credential Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. The Magnet Recognition Program recognizes health care organizations that demonstrate excellence in nursing practice and adherence to national standards for the organization and delivery of nursing services.
- 2008-2009: Porter was named a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care. Consistently ranked as a top hospital nationally for cardiac services, Porter was given top honors by a national hospital reporting company in several key cardiac services. Porter’s heart program also was awarded United Healthcare’s Cardiac Center of Excellence designation given to just a handful of hospitals providing superior quality across the country and the Mercury Award for Excellence in Cardiac Services from the independent national health care organization HCIA
- 2008-2009: Cigna Healthcare awarded Center of Excellence to Porter Adventist Hospital in the areas of coronary bypass grafting, heart valve replacement, total knee replacement and total hip replacement. Cigna awarded PAH quality designation in the areas of heart attack, heart failure and adult pneumonia.
- 2009: Sharon Pappas, RN, PhD, and Porter CNO, received the 2009 Nightingale Award, nursing’s highest honor.
- 2009: Randy Haffner, Porter CEO, received the Crystal Angel Award at the Adventist Health System Conference on Mission. The award recognizes significant leadership in advancing the mission of Adventist healthcare.
- 2009: The Sleep Disorder Center at Porter Adventist Hospital received full accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. AASM accreditation is the gold standard by which the medical community and the public can evaluate the services provided by a sleep center.
- Cancer Care Center: The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer awarded Porter’s Cancer Care Center its highest accreditation. The Center received the highest score possible in five areas, including community outreach for prevention and early detection of cancer.
If you’d like more information on hospital quality, several independent organizations provide hospital report cards: